Biography: Born Mitchell Lee Hedberg, Feb. 24, 1968, in St. Paul, Minnesota. The comedian "once explained the reason his was not a household name was because most of his fans lived in apartments. [He] spent much of his career straddling that fine line between cult status and relatively larger stardom," said MTV. "Hedberg was known for his disheveled hippie look, his relaxed, almost sedate stage manner, and his dawdling delivery his face forever concealed behind a pair of shades and a wall of floppy bangs."
Compared most frequently to the odd remarks and precise jokes written and performed by stand-up comic Steven Wright, "Hedberg's one-liners, dished off in a spacey staccato, were based on absurdist, random observations," stated "Pioneer Press." "His success occurred in light of, in spite of and even because of his quarter-century affair with drugs and alcohol."
Mitch Hedburg began appearing at southern Florida Open Mike nights in 1989, moving to Seattle two years later, where he eventually grew his material and stage confidence to the point he could tour. He dabbled in acting ("Almost Famous," "That '70s Show," "Crank Yankers") and became a regular visitor to Howard Stern's radio program. At the time of his death, he was planning his first HBO comedy special.
Died March 30, 2005, of a reported heart attack in a New Jersey hotel room.
Big Break: 1996: His first of 10 stand-up spots on "Late Show With David Letterman."
Mitch Hedberg Comic Milestones: 199?: "Comikaze," an MTV program, was his TV debut.
1997: Grand prize, Seattle Comedy Competition
1999: "Los Enchiladas!" -- An independent film written, produced, directed, and starring Mitch Hedberg.
2003: Two comedy albums / CDs: "Mitch All Together," "Strategic Grill Locations" (recorded 1999). Quotations: Mitch Hedberg Jokes:
- "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something."
- "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall."
- "Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy ... all damn day! In fact, if you wear a backpack and a turtle-neck, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down!"
- "I love blackjack. But I'm not addicted to gambling. I'm addicted to sitting in a semicircle."
- "I would imagine if you understood Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy."
- "I used to do drugs. I still do drugs. But I used to, too."
- "At my hotel room, my friend came over and asked to use the phone. I said 'Certainly.' He said, 'Do I need to dial 9?' I say 'Yeah. Especially if it's in the number. You can try four and five back-to-back real quick.'"
- "When someone hands you a flier, it's like they're saying, 'Here, you throw this away.'"
- "I think foosball is a combination of soccer and shish kebobs."
- "I drank some boiling water because I wanted to whistle."
- "I tried to walk into Target, but I missed. Damn."
Biographical Sources: Internet Movie Database, MTV.com, "Pioneer Press," Wikipedia.